Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Synchronicity and the Skies above... Volcanoes!



Above is a shot of the Milky Way above Piton de la Fournaise, an active volcano on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, snapped by photographer Luc Perrot, which won third prize at the 2011 TWAN International photo contest. The other winning photos can be found here. Notice was just posted today on Yahoo.

Meanwhile, more stunning photographs of the sky - this time over an active volcano in Chile, can be found - just posted today - at Histories of Things to Come.

As it happened, earlier this morning, I happened to catch a 2008 episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" in which he was visiting one of the last inhabitants of an an area in Hawaii - you guessed it - devastated by an active volcano.

Coincidence? Yeah probably, but only because I can't exactly find the personal "meaning".

Paul Kimball on the other hand, has been having a spate of his own synchronicities. I left a comment on his last post on The Other Side of the Truth early this morning that I think readers of this blog might also appreciate... a quote from F. David Peat from his wonderful book "Synchronicity - The Bridge Between Mind and Matter" which has been mentioned previously on PMB, specifically here, here and here.

"As Jung had earlier pointed out, it is the nature of synchronicity to have meaning and, in particular, to be associated with a profound activation of energy deep within the psyche. It is as if the formation of patterns within the unconscious mind is accompanied by physical patterns in the outer world. In particular, as psychic patterns are on the point of reaching consciousness then synchronicities reach their peak; moreover, they generally disappear as the individual becomes consciously aware of a new alignment of forces within his or her personality.

Synchronicitics are therefore often associated with periods of transformation: for example, birth, deaths, falling in love, psychotherapy, intense creative work, and even a change of profession. It is as if the internal restructuring produces external resonances, or as if a burst of "mental energy" is propagated outward into the physical world."

Hmmm... internal restructuring... external resonances... burst of energy? Sounds like a volcano to me! :-)



2 comments:

  1. wow - talk about synchronicity...

    Volcanoes are important.

    When I first ventured into the southwest, specifically in northern new mexico (while at sufi camp - but that's another story), I had a very strong vision about volcanoes in that region. I saw them erupting - very active, all over that area. I "knew" this was a vision of the past. It was as if I traveled back to that time. This vision was so powerful, I felt compelled to leave sufi camp and find the locations of these past volcanoes. And I did: over the course of about 3 weeks, traveling in my jeep and camping along the way, I found the places I saw in my vision.

    I don't know why, but this region, and the volcanic activity there at that time, played an important part in our (human) history. I know that sounds crazy, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't sound crazy in the slightest - sounds like an experience to die for. To act on a compelling vision and then find the actual places you found in that vision? I hope you kept a journal at the time.

    (And in New Mexico yet!)

    I don't have any idea why my particular volcano synchronicity occurred... but I didn't know about the volcanoes in New Mexico either. What calls me to the southwest is even weirder.

    The ancient ocean.

    Now, I know that sounds crazy, but there that is!

    ReplyDelete