Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ray Bradbury (8/22/1920 - 6/5/2012...)






“Some people turn sad awfully young. No special reason, it seems, but they seem almost to be born that way. They bruise easier, tire faster, cry quicker, remember longer and, as I say, get sadder younger than anyone else in the world. I know, for I'm one of them.” 

― Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

***

"I'm not afraid of machines," he told Writer's Digest in 1976. "I don't think the robots are taking over. I think the men who play with toys have taken over. And if we don't take the toys out of their hands, we're fools."

- Ray Bradbury quote found here  (U.S.A. Today, death notice)

***

Throughout his life, Bradbury liked to recount the story of meeting a carnival magician, Mr. Electrico, in 1932. At the end of his performance Electrico reached out to the twelve-year-old Bradbury, touched the boy with his sword, and commanded, Live forever! Bradbury later said, "I decided that was the greatest idea I had ever heard. I started writing every day. I never stopped."

- Via the notice on RayBradbury.com

***

"I memorized all of “John Carter” and “Tarzan,” and sat on my grandparents’ front lawn repeating the stories to anyone who would sit and listen. I would go out to that lawn on summer nights and reach up to the red light of Mars and say, “Take me home!” I yearned to fly away and land there in the strange dusts that blew over dead-sea bottoms toward the ancient cities.

While I remained earthbound, I would time-travel, listening to the grownups, who on warm nights gathered outside on the lawns and porches to talk and reminisce. At the end of the Fourth of July, after the uncles had their cigars and philosophical discussions, and the aunts, nephews, and cousins had their ice-cream cones or lemonade, and we’d exhausted all the fireworks, it was the special time, the sad time, the time of beauty. It was the time of the fire balloons."


- Excerpt from Bradbury's New Yorker essay dated June 4, 2012

***


Ray Bradbury passed yesterday at the ripe old age of 91. But if ever there was a human embodiment of immortality, he was surely it. I've posted a video of Bradbury discussing his 
amazing and always timely "Farenheit 451", which can stand as its own tribute to the timeless vitality of this beautiful man, found here, on my Other Blog.







No comments: