Monday, January 11, 2016

From Stardust to Stardust... (Video repaired 3/12/17)


"There are still so many people on an immortality kick... what are we after exactly? There's just too much ego involved. And who wants to drag their old, decaying frame around until they're 90. Just to assert their ego? I don't certainly." 

- David Bowie from a 1977 Melody Maker interview, found here.







The original Martian has died. Frankly, I never thought I'd see this day... and Mac would've been devastated. What do you say about one of the greatest performers who ever lived?

Synchronistically, he just released his last album this month: Blackstar.

Vale, David...





"The philosophy of six thousand years has not searched the chambers and magazines of the soul. In its experiments there has always remained, in the last analysis, a residuum it could not resolve. Man is a stream whose source is hidden. Our being is descending into us from we know not whence. The most exact calculator has no prescience that somewhat incalculable may not balk the very next moment. I am constrained every moment to acknowledge a higher origin for events than the will I call mine.

As with events, so is it with thoughts. When I watch that flowing river, which, out of regions I see not, pours for a season its streams into me, I see that I am a pensioner; not a cause, but a surprised spectator of this ethereal water; that I desire and look up, and put myself in the attitude of reception, but from some alien energy the visions come."

- from Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay, The Over-soul, 1841.


***

I'm still reeling from yesterdays news, as I imagine countless others are as well, and, as we slowly process this information, it's likely that the internet will be one immense galaxy of Bowie memes in the coming days. I'm listing a few things here I've recently found for those interested. The best one is this: the main-belt asteroid that is Davidbowie! Betcha didn't know that. I didn't... till I read this article from Gizmodo.

Other noteworthy articles: This from boingboing's Xeni Jardin, Red Pill Junkie's tribute at the Daily Grail, the Telegraph article, the NPR article, and the Daily Mail's article: David Bowie died from liver cancer and was told it was terminal a year ago.

Is it too late to express to David the deep gratitude that many of us feel? I hope not.



No comments:

Post a Comment